Don't forget the Heaven lying at your feet

LEARN TO BE STILL

Friday, July 25, 2008

My kids: angels or devils??



One day at a time, right? Even when days go like last Tuesday? Especially days like last Tuesday.

Taycie was unloading the dishwasher and Tanner swiped a glass off the counter where upon hitting the tile floor it shattered into a million pieces. Just what you want in the kitchen; your two babies in bare feet and slivers of glass. I thought I was thorough enough to get it all but I am still finding chunks from under the fridge and at the outer edges of the dining room where I thought-no way did it travel that far over.

I opened the door to the laundry room to go in and use the facilities where I found a sticky floor, a substance running down the fronts of the washer and dryer, the smell of fresh laundry but I didn't know what exactly, and a dozen paper towels wadded up in the little basket garbage can next to the toilet. "Taycie what happened in here?!" "Tanner got the spray-n-wash and sprayed it all over." On one hand...she tried to clean it up for me. On the other...she didn't tell me he had done it and I don't keep the spray-n-wash in his reach...dad was the last to do laundry. URGH! I had to close the door and walk away. The current condition of the laundry room is that 3 days later it still needs to be washed down...haven't had the time (I'm blogging instead!).
Taycie argues plenty and gets herself grounded during lunchtime when she thinks it a good idea to tell me "I've been grounded before and you still let me go play". Well, NOT today honey! Now I feel like the most awful mom ever 'cause I've yelled too much today (a quality I really bad want to change and am working on, I promise).

Tanner goes down for his nap. He's a good boy and we rah-rah (rockabye).

I am trying to get some computer time in for bills and such. Taycie comes to me with Candy Land...OK, a mother/daughter fight where only a Milton Bradley game can fix all hurts. And then onto Chutes and Ladders. After all that fun, since it's still quiet time, I let her pick out a movie.

Dee swung into the drive-thru at a local Mexican restaurant to get horchatas. YUM! I gave Tanner the last bit in my cup with the straw and yet he tips it, therefore dumping it all down his front in his car seat. Everything is now ultimately sticky and wet.

Taycie and Tanner (still sticky and wet-not enough time to change him) came with me and my mom to a baby shower where they tested every boundary possible while out in public and in someone else's yard that really didn't take into consideration "little children" when they landscaped. Tanner got two scraped knees and a ba-ba (band aid) for the bleeding one.

Arriving back at home Taycie is instructed to get in the shower and wash her hair. I get Tanner unloaded and everything in the house where I find Taycie, wrapped in her bath towel, standing in the kitchen. "What are you doing?" "Daddy told me to come down and tell you that there are two rolls of toilet paper in my toilet." Sure enough, two whole rolls of toilet paper just plopped in the toilet. Upside, our toilet paper is very absorbent, there was no water left in the bowl. Taycie's fault as far as not keeping her bathroom door closed tight (an endless battle), MY fault more so that I saw Tanner in the bathroom with the rolls of toilet paper and in no matter of thinking did I foresee that he would put them in the toilet. I just thought he was in the cupboard playing and I told him to get them all put back. I must have been super busy with something else, I don't know why I didn't go scoop him up out of the bathroom and close the door. Lesson learned. And no time for picturing funny story when mom and dad are really, really mad. Sorry, I know it would have made this post worth it.

Taycie proceeds to the shower and finally I have the chance to get Tanner un-sticky in his own bath in my tub. Undress, undo diaper, it drops to the floor and pee-pee immediately follows all over the diaper, floor, and clothes lying there. "Tanner! don't go pee-pee on the floor." I run him to the toilet and we have a potty talk. "Can you go pee-pee in the potty?" "Uh-no!" "Are you all done?" "Uh-yeah!" I leave him there momentarily just to see if he will go in the toilet and then take him to the tub. He's sitting in the water with that look, looking down at himself. "Tanner, did you just go potty in the bath tub?" Hesitation, smile, "Uh-yeah!" in all the proudness of a two year old face. Rinse out tub, and refill to finish bath time.

Let me tell you, I was the happiest mom on earth when finally everyone was tucked into bed that night. Now I just get to look back and laugh. And pray it doesn't happen like that again, all in one day, even though -inevitably- it will. I know they are really angels at heart!



3 comments:

Camille said...

yep. love it. they're angels. definitely in word and deed. And only after they are in bed can you say that for sure. hA!!!

I've so been there. Wish we were next door so we could play together and swap pee pee stories! love it!
ps... were you as sad as me about last night's elimination?

. said...

What a day! It's amazing all that can happen in just one day. I think I would have crawled right back into bed and pulled the covers over my head and called my mommy. Glad you made it through!

Kristin Kimber said...

Less writing more pictures please! I want to see more pics of your cute kids on your blog. They grow up to fast.